Sunday, March 09, 2008

Malaysia Election 2008

Thanks to global warming, the global climate is changing; thanks to change in Malaysian societal situation, the political climate is changing.

I didn't go back to vote. My dad wanted me to. Being bred in Singapore for so long, I realised I am acculturated into political apathy. Thoughts like 'who cares about election?', 'why purposely go back just to vote?' passed through my mind, or the thought about going home for voting didn't even pass my mind!

Now I am a little embarrassed by my such thoughts. Apparently the citizens of Malaysia have awaken, and actively took on the role of having a say in the national affairs. This year marked high rate of voting, even among the traditionally apathetic Chinese. Average voting rate is 70+%. For my hometown, it's 82%. I am sorry I contributed .0004% to the non-voters. I saw Yap at Boon Lay yesterday. He told me he was going home to vote. Then I had an internal debate if I should go home to vote too. Dad said it's an act to 'exercise your right for the well-being of others'. But I thought, I have Open House, and I have visitor from China coming, so I couldn't go home. And I didn't go home eventually. Now I am embarrassed by myself.

But yeah. Results have been truly stunning. From 20 seats in election 2004, the opposition parties have garnered up to 82 seats this year in the parliament! Amazing. I can feel the climate of change now. People are being wiser consumer of knowledge, more able to distinguish which are facts and which are claims by political parties. They are less able to be threatened by governmental's threat: 'Opposition wins and the country will sink into riots', 'Opposition wins and no Chinese in the parliament' etc. And such, opposition wins big time this round. In fact, the biggest victory since the nation's independence. The first time in history that Barison Nasional loses two third majority. And first time other than the Islamic party are oppositional parties governing states. And 5 states in all up to now: Kedah, Penang, Kelantan, Perak, Selangor. My state is in. In my town, oppositional party won too.

Was ultra surprised to see how many of my friends of the younger generation are concerned about the election. Look at the MSN nicknames and you find people commenting about it. Many were following up with the results. Even though we are all overseas. Cool! Yeah we should have a say in the country, and be concerned about the country. 毕竟,tanah tumpahnya darahku.

Hoping to get more news tomorrow. My dad must be real happy now. The time of change has come.

For news about Malaysian election:
http://malaysiakini.aizuikmal.com/ - for instant updates on election results
http://merdekareview.blogspot.com/ - instant updates in Chinese
http://www.malaysiatoday.com/ - more instant updates on election
http://www.sinchew-i.com/taxonomy/term/19 - includes commentary and detailed breakdown on results by each parliament and state seats in Chinese

Enjoy!

For more enjoyment, this is for your entertainment.

Lenlen looks really cute with specs.

But piglet looks so old with specs.

My habit for blogging is coming back.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Live
~ wan xin
* a feel
* a soul
* a mind
* an emotion
* an inspiration

+ 13071986
+ ENFP
+ Blue
+ Cancer
+ Buddhist
+ Malaysian
+ Psychology NTU
+ AIESECer
+ Hwa Chong 04S73
+ SCGS
+ MES
+ Choong Hua

我的語言
- 土生土長的華人
- 學校教了我英文和馬來文
- 環境教了我福建話
- 電視劇教了我廣東話
- 大學和喀麥隆教了我法語
- 在一個早上接觸了手語
- 最後一學期一口氣學了日語和西班牙語

Ticking

My whenabouts at my whereabout

Rustle

~Leave me your contact method~

Footsteps

Free Web Counter
Counters