Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Update


It's 3rd day since I have arrived in Cameroon, and have almost overcome my culture shock, yet to learn to enjoy my stay and every difference here. A Dutch intern arrived last night, and she was still in the midst of culture shock. She wept about it. She reminded me so much of who I was just barely 3 days ago. Of course, being the only free person in the MC house (it was National Planning today), I kept her accompanied, shared my stories, and encouraged her to cry. Hope she will feel better soon.

Some reality update of my life: There is no hot water, and the water is slightly yellow. There is no light in the bathroom, and we see with the light seeped in from the neighbouring room. I have to wash my clothes using my hands. Most of the roads are not tarred, and since it rains once every 2 days, the roads are constantly muddy. The African ladies really have a lot of hair styles, and most of them are made of fake hair! The food here is nice, but the portion is too much for me. I always get the AIESECers to finish them for me.

AIESECers are AIESECers, sharing the common cult culture no matter where we are. We dance Le le, Freed from desire, motor scooter, etc. I taught them some AIESEC dance in Chinese and they loved it so much that it is now their faci dance. They shout Hey AIESEC too, and they have the same expectation for a conference chair.

It is interesting how many of them kept commenting that I break their preconception of Asians. To the Africans and to the Europeans, they have always felt that Asians are quiet and reserved, and saying one word can simply kill them. Belinda, the MCVP Projects (my mama) was telling me that she was so worried when Diana (the conference manager) put an Asian girl as the chair of their conference. 'How will she speak???' And now suddenly they found themselves one Asian girl who talks as much as the Africans. Haha.. And I am trying to speak more in French, and learning their pidgin' English! My aim: to not able to speak English anymore. Haha!

Much as I want to type, I can't, because someone else is still waiting to use the net.

Till then, a bientot!

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

yea, you have broke their preconception of Asian gals, because you are not an ordinary Asian gal. You brought misconception to them..haha..

10:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

姐:

听起来很恐怖,黄黄的水和暗暗的浴室。。不要怕黑哦。。

我这边啊。。好山好水的。。
星期一到五是修身养性日;星期六日就是狂欢日

原住民小朋友有的很帅哦。。可是都很野。。
我什么都不怕,只怕钱不够用。。和有时候不太懂怎样个小朋友讲话。。

10:32 PM  
Blogger 10022007 said...

looking forward to see you coming back with fake hair haaaa... take care;)

4:16 AM  
Blogger w a n x i n said...

who is the first anonymous? Where got misconception!

Jie, I all also scared, except not enough money! Somehow the people here love the way I speak haha.

Dear koko, feel free to see!

5:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Live
~ wan xin
* a feel
* a soul
* a mind
* an emotion
* an inspiration

+ 13071986
+ ENFP
+ Blue
+ Cancer
+ Buddhist
+ Malaysian
+ Psychology NTU
+ AIESECer
+ Hwa Chong 04S73
+ SCGS
+ MES
+ Choong Hua

我的語言
- 土生土長的華人
- 學校教了我英文和馬來文
- 環境教了我福建話
- 電視劇教了我廣東話
- 大學和喀麥隆教了我法語
- 在一個早上接觸了手語
- 最後一學期一口氣學了日語和西班牙語

Ticking

My whenabouts at my whereabout

Rustle

~Leave me your contact method~

Footsteps

Free Web Counter
Counters